Ciao!
I play classical, forties standards, some jazz, some boogie, and so on. Please be aware of the following: I do not sing. I used to sing, but a frog got into my throat and never left. However, once in awhile, I get carried away, when I'm so into the music and forgetting that I don't sing anymore, start singing along. No one has said anything so far. Either they are deaf or don't mind.
Not everyone can say this...but I can. It's not that I'm bragging, but I am!! In the spring of 2008 I was playing classical music professionally at a grand piano in a Clearwater, Florida hotel. Much to my surprise and delight, Chick Corea, the grammy winning jazz composer, came running up to me, and embracing my waist with his famous hands said: "You're smokin', you're really smokin'"! He just about lifted me off the piano bench. Mario Feininger, a well known European classical concert pianist recently told me that I played from "knowingness." When I was younger I was a folk singer with acoustic guitar, and I took lessons from Jerry Garcia of the "Grateful Dead" an "instant" before he became famous.

Please mail me at jerrye.albert@rocketmail.com to engage me for your event. I am located in Clearwater, Florida close to Tampa.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"It is fun to have fun. You have to know how."  Dr. Seuss wrote this, and it is still one of my favorite sayings. My favorite definitions come from a children's book: "A Hole is to Dig", which includes some of these definitions: "A tablespoon is to eat a table with."  "The sun is so it can be a great day." "Mashed potatoes are to give everybody enough."    To which I add..."Improvisation is to create unexpected beauty."

Been having a blast improvising.  Took a section of Claire de Lune and improvised upon it, and wow!  So beautiful!  Claire de Lune is beautiful musical poetry written by a French composer, Debussy.  It is poetry because it flows so beautifully, and when played, the listener often experiences serenity and beauty.  I have observed this in every performance where I have played it.  When playing one always wants to create a wonderful effect in the listener, as what is the purpose of performing music but to transport the listener to a higher emotional plateau...!  Rhythm is also a good way to do this.  Latin, jazz, boogie, rock, etc., cause you to want to MOVE, and I do mean MOVE to the music.  Wonderful experience. The troubles of this planet fade away as one listens to music, and really, music speaks to the spirit, the soul, which is the real truth of life.  All for now.  J.


No comments:

Post a Comment